7/19/2005
Nightwalking with Tegan, Sara and Postal Service
I love Victoria. Every night, just as it begins to get dark, I go walking in the trees. There's wooded land right across the road, undeveloped but criss-crossed with foottrails and pimpled with bike jumps I've never seen anyone use. Way in the back, slumps a battered and rusted 1950s Austin (or so my father said). I wander the paths, brushing spider webs from my face. Think about stuff. And listen to mp3s.



I have discovered the perfect nightwalking music:

Candidate One:
Tegan & Sara - two women who rock with their shirts on. The album is So Jealous, their third. They are lesbian twin sisters from somewhere in Canada, although I swear I didn't know they were Canadian when I first thought they were cool. I'm not going to try to explain it, except I adore women who play fuzz and aren't using it to cover sucky vocals. (see also Velocity Girl, Juliana Hatfield, and even poor Veruca Salt).

Candidate Two: Postal Service. Supposedly this is a side project by the main guy behind Death Cab For Cutie. I don't know anything about that. I do know that when certain songs from Give Up start playing - like, say, the first four songs, I don't miss fireflies at all. I am a pilgrim for Postal Service now, and have even made some converts. Most submitted to the gospel of Postal Service willingly, and with grace; a few are imprisoned in the woodshed with "Such Great Heights" on repeat. They'll come around.
 
# by Chris @ 10:23 PM
Comments: Post a Comment